Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Our last day......

Today was my Dad's last day working as a Dentist. He has been practicing dentistry in Las Vegas for 32 years and was a treasured gentle doctor by thousands of patients. My mom was his first assistant, front desk receptionist, office manager and bookeeper/accountant, and all six of his daughters have had the privilege to work with him as well. He was the best boss I could ever ask for and I will miss all the fun times we got to share together as a family at the decatur office, the jones office and yes those chaotic times at DII. I want to make a list of my favorite memories of the dental office and I know my siblings have some as well so share ok!
-DEB ( she was one entertaining fireball)
- Jeanette and Milton Knopf (my favorite New Yorkers)
- Dr. C gardening in between patients and those huge zucchinnis
- Sid Flum and Tatijana's Rascal and seeing my dad drive it around the room or watching Roberta try to park it
- Frozen Yogurt cakes ( who knew she was allergic?)
- Christmas parties and bonuses
- Scrubs (especiall the brown and pink ones)
-Tommy bell and the leg raise hand squeeze
-Mr. Gach's boils and is willingness to share too many medical details
- Vince the collections man ( he looked like a vampire, long nails, all black clothes and white hair)
-the DHL guy, UPS lady linda and the new guyI forgot his name, but he saw us at DII and got sooo confused and the postmen that would talk to us and drop off mail BEFORE 4:30
-the proper RBI impression technique--its all it the angle of the air nozzle
- Jerry's poster& Mr Rogers' poster
- the nursery upstairs
-moms' stash of goodies under her desk
I know I'll think of more, it was an emotional day and I cried. I felt like Meg Ryan in You've got mail, and I can't even imagine what my Dad is feeling but I hope he knows hope much his hard work and dedication meant to me and soo may others. So long SVFD and my work in the dental field its been real.

10 comments:

Danalin said...

None of that made much sense to me, but it still made me get all teary for you. I went to your dad for my pre-mission check-up. I've always loved your dad and the gentleness he has about him. The world of dentistry will be poorer for the loss. Love you, Jame.

(go to my blog and then sign up to join me, okay?!)

Sommer said...

Your dad was a great, kind dentist. He was genuinely happy to see me for my visits and never hurt me. The whole office was so kind and friendly!

Sommer

KACEE said...

There was one time when Mary K. was doing impressions on me for a retainer, and she was having a hard time getting the top impression out of my mouth, she had to close the door and put her foot up on the dental chair for leverage. That clay stuff went flying everywhere and it was all over the both of us. I also remember the treasure box, and Uncle John always smiling. He was so helpful to our family when we didn't have a lot. I also remeber aunt Jane taking me out to buy me new school clothes when we didn't have the money. That always makes me tear up a little when I think of that. I love your parents very much.

Unknown said...

Dont forget all the fun times with the pool over at jones: Dad falling in, testing the tin boat to make sure it floated...sketchy!!!(for sure he took that as payment for work done) and practicing his casting to make sure his lures worked properly before going to fish lake. good times......

Julie Anderson said...

One time Dr. Donaldson had been using one of Dad's operatories and she had left the Dr.'s chair very LOW (because she was short) I was waiting with a patient in that operatory for Dad to come in. He quickly sat down in the chair without thinking and WHAM! all of the sudden Dad's chin was on the patients chest. The chair was so LOW!! It was so funny, because you never want the Patient to think anything is wrong, so Dad just smiled with his eyes--I was crying from trying not to laugh out loud--he saw that patient with the chair that low--it was hilarious. Who says Dad's doesn't have a sense of humor!!!!

Mk said...

I love Dad's fat free Fridays and Calorie free Tuesdays when he would walk down to Winchells and bring us all back a fresh dozen. I loved hearing him whistle in the lab. I loved when he would randomly ask "Well Mare, what do you think?" I loved working on other family members with Dad- especially Mom- she was having work done and was really numb and kept drooling or something and I told her to stop or "she's gonna get a dee-vorse" she cracked up and so did Dad. I loved waiting in the rooms w/pt's and seeing Dad in the back watering the garden. I could go on and on and on...:0

Mk said...

We also have to give MAJOR kudos to Mom- she was so great and meticulous and generous and how awesome was it that in between work we could go upstairs and see Mom? She didn't even mind that occasionally i would take a nap on her floor and eat some of her treats. When you look at what Mom and Dad accomplished over the past 35 years- it's pretty incredible. a little pinch on their buns for all that.

Mk said...

Sorry about those impressions Kace...i promise i got better at it. You were a good guinea pig.

Dani said...

I am so sad to see that you guys are all done. I miss you guys terribly. Thanks for the good times that you gave me while I was there for the short four years of the many that Dr. Coons had. Your list made me laugh. Even though I was not there for all the memories, the ones that I was there for were great. Thanks for making it such a great place to work (I mean everyone...Dr. and all the girls) LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

butter&eggs said...

Dr. Coons was always my favorite...dentist and uncle. I have so many memories with your family. I will never forget your mom and dad bringing loads of food to us from costco... We all felt like it was christmas!! They were always sooo good to us. I love all you guys and it is so good to see you on our little random run-ins! wish them the best...can't wait to see where they go next!!!(mission??)

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
---Walt Disney

Odec08

Odec08
Owen's First Christmas